11/13/2014

Bake Shop Review

Clay #2. Bake Shop

Now introducing one of my least favorite types of polymer clay. Made by Sculpey and inexpensive compared to other types I thought I'd try it out. I was walking down the walmart craft isle,  just burning time, when I noticed they sold clay! It wasn't my usual sculpey III or any of the other polular brands, it was Bake Shop, selling only for $0.99! I thought I'd give it a go. I picked up two white blocks and a skin tone, being low on both colors at home, and the store's color selection was very minimal. I was surprised when I opened the package, slightly different than the newest packing rendition, shown in the picture above. The clay almost felt as if it were covered in a very thin layer of moisture. I easily squeezed (notice that verb) a piece off. It stuck to my hands in some places and it was certainly the softest clay I'd ever worked with! After kneading it (which didn't take long), It became extremely soft and very hard to work with, almost like playdough. Fingerprints showed up very clearly on projects I tried to make with it. I've tried working with it in various ways, but the clay has few purposes. I've found the best use of it is in making faux frosting for miniatures and fake food. Because of it's extremely soft texture, it easily breaks down and mixes into fake frosting. I did find, due to my buying of the color white and using it to lighten other colors, that when mixed with a different type of clay, it softens it tremendously. Over all I wouldn't recommend this clay, except for frosting making. Have any recommendations or options about this product? Comment below.

Photo Credit: http://raw.rawmaterialsarts.netdna-cdn.com/catimg/syba1802_x.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Rose FlowerCute Green Bow Tie PointerAwesome Lime Sharp PointerTeal Glitter PointerTeal Glitter PointerTeal Glitter PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie Pointer