11/13/2014

Sculpey III Review

Clay #1. Sculpey III



This clay is rather popular with most basic polymer clay artists. I personally have been using this type of clay for a long time, first due to my neglecting of other brands, and my already large stock of this type. Don't get my wrong- this clay is great! I have a lot of experience with it already and I know plenty of it's limits and capabilities. For one, this clay is great for basic projects and very easy to work with. I've made plenty of beautiful pieces using this clay, including one of my favorites, miniature realistic food. On the other hand, more meticulus work is not suited with this clay. Sculpting people or faces is very difficult with this semi soft clay (softer when kneaded) due to exactly that; its softness. Now, I've seen worse (Bake Shop), so don't go assuming this is not the clay for you! Also it is EXTREMELY difficult to create canes (minnefori art, as I believe it's spelled) with Sculpey III. It's possible, but the colors bend to together easily, and only the most basic canes can be made in their simplest form (lace cane, as I've discovered). Also dark or bright colors (red) will leave colored residue on your hands, so be careful! Over all, this is a great clay I highly recommend to you. Most of what I make is created from this clay, but I will say as I've developed my skills, I've gained a new interest in different brands and types, which I will cover in another review.

Photo Credit: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnmMRX2uh7JbqjWKXsqDgsFtXIE706hKbCwGNDayEJ3S6Nkd3-JnCbsQlvF5TYHUJl9DCqqNtJ&usqp=CAE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pink Rose FlowerCute Green Bow Tie PointerAwesome Lime Sharp PointerTeal Glitter PointerTeal Glitter PointerTeal Glitter PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie PointerCute Black Bow Tie Pointer